A friendly forum for all mummys and mummys to be!!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  Chat roomChat room  

Share | 

Speech Development...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Anne
Admin
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 1148
Interests : HARRY POTTER LOL
Registration date : 2007-05-29

PostSubject: Speech Development...   26th November 2007, 3:18 pm

I'd like to ask your opinion on my sons speech development cos i cant get much out my hv (shes a new hv as our one got promoted and i dont trust her at all)

he is nearly 16 months.

he babbles a lot and can say a few one word things but choses not to.. one word things he can say are dada, mum, nana, fish, tiggy, dog, cat, no, ok (its extremely rare he will actually say any of these but i know he can)

he says quite a lot of 2 words and small sentances and has done before saying one word things eg. bye bye, oh dear (hes favourite) , whats that, whose that, wheres that, whats in there, dad did that again he rarely says them but he says these more than the one word things.... he says oh dear and whats that most.

my new hv seems baffled as to why he learning 2 words before 1 and said if not improved by 18 month then speech therapy, but she also said that he should be saying 2 words and sentances til he was 18 months anyway which would mean he is ahead so why would she refer him to a speech therapist if he is ahead?

i dont know if this makes a difference but he also learned to crawl before he could sit unaided, so him learning things a bit backwards is not too suprising for me.. also another doc asked me if jack could say things like dinner, juice, milk, nap etc.. which he cant. if hes hungry he screams and if he wants a drink he gives me his cup then goes to the kitchen door, and if he wants a nap he gives me his cup and then climbs into bed.....

what do you make of it all?

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.magicfairywings.com
boogles05

Female
Number of posts : 402
Interests : Speedway, support Coventry Bees
Registration date : 2007-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Speech Development...   26th November 2007, 11:45 pm

I know this isn't my section to answer but from a parental point of view your hv is talking complete bollo*

When Brandon had his 2 year check I asked about his speech, although I know what he was saying others didnt and comparing him to a freinds daughter 5 weeks younger his speech was terrbile. I was told there was nothing to be concerned about but if he hadnt improved by 2 and a half then they would consider sending him to speech therapy but until then they wouldnt even entertain the fact his speech was bad.

Since he had his 2 year check things have improved lots though.

As I said this is jsut from a parental point of view, Bex might give other help xx
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://boogles05.spaces.live.com
Kaye
Admin
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 1002
Interests : Partying, internet and being with my friends!!
Registration date : 2007-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Speech Development...   27th November 2007, 12:04 am

I think you HV doesnt know what shes talking about!!

Why shouldnt he be stringing sentences together? Joshua does alot of mixing about so sometimes he'll just say the 1 word then others he'll say a few so i think they are all diff....obviously if he can say sentences then he can also say single words he just likes to show his mummy how clever he is!!

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://scrummymummys.forumotion.com
bex

Female
Number of posts : 49
Interests : football, speedway, music, reading, and spending time with louise, steven and brandon in coventry
Registration date : 2007-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Speech Development...   27th November 2007, 12:43 am

hiya sorry the parents gt there first but only had chncet reply now.

tell your health vsitor to go and do one she is talking rubbish, for one thing most places want refer children till there two/two n half.

i think reading what i have then jack is doing really well, i woulnt be wrried if i wa you. if you wanted to encourge more speech wih jck look at books with him expecially picture books liek abc and 123. also of a night time look at a book togete before bed.

i hope this helps you. as i cant see to give a indepth reply as i think your halth visitor s talking out of her bum

take care
becky
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anne
Admin
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 1148
Interests : HARRY POTTER LOL
Registration date : 2007-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Speech Development...   27th November 2007, 12:06 pm

fab thanks... i read to him a lot during the day but not at nighttime mostly cos hes sooo grumpy by the time its bedtime and he been changing his bed time recently.. hes fav are in the night garden waving game and the hungry catipillar so there's lots of repition (sp) in it.. he also knows how a book works, ie which way to hold it and that pages go left to right...

think i might ask for a new hv or move to a different surgery if they have different hvs cos i really dont like her. we only seen her once and as soon as she saw jack he though he was 2 or 3... stupid cow.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.magicfairywings.com
boogles05

Female
Number of posts : 402
Interests : Speedway, support Coventry Bees
Registration date : 2007-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Speech Development...   28th November 2007, 3:37 pm

To be quiet honest I would find another one, im going to see my health visitor tomorrow will mention what she said to you about jack and how old he is etc and see what she says, im sure she will be willing to help theyre all lovely at my doctors practice (which is where we have baby clinic aswell)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://boogles05.spaces.live.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Speech Development...   

Back to top Go down

Speech Development...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Scrummymummys :: Your kids! :: Ask the Practitioner!!!-
Jump to: